Today's important announcement to the higher education committee may be of
interest to list members.

All comments are welcome.

Gary Horrocks
UKOLUG Committee (JIBS User Group Liaison)

>Important Announcement for all UKHE students, staff, libraries,
>and information services
>
>(apologies for cross-posting, but please forward to all
>appropriate lists)
>
>*****  Update on Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) Web
>of Science. and the UK Higher Education Community *****
>
>New Information Service
>
>The ISI service, which is currently hosted by BIDS at the
>University of Bath is the most successful and longest running of
>the subscription data services offered by the Joint Information
>Systems Committee (JISC).  ISI is used extensively throughout
>the UK Higher Education community in both research and teaching.
>The service has been operational for eight years and the current
>contract expires in March 2000. CHEST has negotiated renewal of
>the contract with ISI, on behalf of JISC, resulting in an offer
>for ISI's new "Web of Science" service.
>
>Following extensive consultation with the user community, and
>fully considering the implications of moving from the ISI
>service to the new ISI Web of Science service, JISC agreed that
>Web of Science should replace the current ISI service.
>
>The Web of Science is ISI's new interface that provides Web
>access to the Science Citation Index ExpandedTM, Social Sciences
>Citation Index., and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. (formerly
>SciSearch, Social SciSearch, and Arts & Humanities Search).  It
>will also provide access to ISTP. (Index to Scientific and
>Technical Proceedings). This is the same data provided under the
>current ISI agreement.  JCR. (Journal Citation Report) has been
>confirmed as an additional option for Web of Science, and
>discussions are continuing about Reaction CenterTM (part of the
>ISI Chemistry ServerSM) and Derwent Innovations IndexSM.
>
>The new service will be available to all Higher Education
>Institutions funded by HEFCE, SHEFC, HEFCW and DENI together
>with a number of additional sites from the CHEST list. In
>accordance with JISC's agreed policy on banded charging for
>datasets, UK HEIs have been divided into three categories for
>this service.  These bands are based on those used for the JSTOR
>service, with the small and very small HEIs combined into a
>single group. All other sites on the CHEST list at
>http://www.chest.ac.uk/chestsites.html will be treated as
>large for the purpose of this service.
>
>The subscription costs for the Web of Science service will be as
>advertised in JISC Circular 16/98 which was sent to all UKHEIs
>in October 1998 (http://www.jisc.ac.uk/pub98/c16_98.html).  The
>subscription price of the current BIDS ISI service has to date
>been subsidised by the JISC by approximately #1,500 per site per
>annum. The subscription price of the new Web of Science Service
>in 2000/01 has been set at the same level as the existing
>service although  Large sites will see an increase of #1,500
>because the subsidy will disappear. Medium and Small sites will
> [...]
Gary Horrocks
Library Services
Guy's, King's & St. Thomas' Schools of
Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
Weston Education Centre
Cutcombe Road, London, SE5 9PJ
Tel: 0171 848 5557 Fax: 0171 848 5550
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medlib