on 30/11/99 4:50 pm, Bernard Naylor at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Aren't there some rail companies proposing to create
> "mobile-phone-free carriages"?  That is, carriages that
> will be insulated against the receipt and transmission of
> mobile phone calls?  I don't recall seeing that described
> as illegal.
>

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:42:39 +0000 Gillian Foster
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Just to add to this discussion - I have spoken to several colleagues who
>> are
>> engineers in the telecommunications industry on this subject.    They all
>> seem
>> to agree that mobile phone jammers are illegal.
>> regards
>> gillian

Well, don't let's forget that what is illegal today may well be legal
tomorrow. It all depends on whether John Prescott can see some political
gain to be got from it. After all, if we want people (and unwilling people,
at that) to use the trains he's got to make sure that he can counter
arguments about unwelcome noise. Have we not just seen the lifting of the
ban on "beef on the bone"?

Roy Killey, MLS ALA Cert Ed
(formerly Academic Liaison Librarian, Design and Communication Systems,
Anglia Polytechnic University; now MPhil/PhD student researching into the
psychology of transport imagery)
28 Howe Lane,
Nafferton,
Driffield,