I would be interested to hear, particularly from academic libraries, how
many of you create records for reference users on your library system, as
opposed to simply keeping paper application forms. By reference users I
include anyone from long-term members to day visitors.

Our reason for doing this is chiefly statistical - information about who is
using us on a reference basis can be retrieved in the same way as that for
borrowers. However, in practice it has has proved to be a very
time-consuming process, with large backlogs of forms developing. Part of
the problem is that we are entering the information onto a template
designed for borrowing tickets, making the act of inputting the information
more time-consuming than it really should be.

One way of overcoming this might be to set up a separate database for
reference users - using, say, Access. I wonder if anyone else has done or
is considering this? I'd also be interested to hear what information in
general you keep about reference users (if any)

Please reply directly to me and I'll summarise the replies for the list.

Thanks,

Pete Williams