Dear Lib-Histers,

Peter Hoare is spot on about the general lack of histories of private
libraries particularly those belonging to the gentry and nobility.
This is something I encountered throughout my PhD research on
country house libraries.  Those which are well-documented tend to
the most obvious collections such as Chatsworth or Althorp (I have
been guilty myself of adding to the published output on Althorp
even though it is already fairly well covered).  Stowe (or rather the
great sale in 1848) seems to be another favoured topic.

There are a great many houses with good libraries which could
easily form the subject of interesting histories.  The
Northumberland collections at Syon and Alnwick being one of my
own particular favourites.  There is currently a study of collections
in East Anglia (including such gems as Blickling, Holkham and
Houghton) but apart from that little seems to be being done.
Furthermore, it is the smaller collections in lesser country houses
which could offer the greatest scope particularly because these
properties and collections tend to be less well documented.

For my honours dissertation as an undergraduate - when I was
young and innocent - I catalogued a small book collection (as
opposed to an actual 'library') belonging to a long-established
family of Lairds in the North-East of Scotland. I would
wholeheartedly endorse everything which Peter and Mark say with
regard to that experience.

One of the regrets of my PhD is that I could not devote as much
time and effort to examining the history of particular collections in
as much depth as I would have liked.  Members may be interested
to know that my thesis - the development of a national heritage
policy for country house libraries - is currently with examiners and
the viva will, hopefully, be before the end of May.

Best wishes,

Peter.

Peter H. Reid,
Lecturer,
School of Information and Media,
The Robert Gordon University,
Garthdee Road,
ABERDEEN, AB10 7QE.
Telephone: +44 (0)1224 263927  Email: [log in to unmask]
Si monumentum requiris, circumspice