Pamela,

as someone who has been and still is working on women in public libraries
pre 1914, I can only agree that it is a struggle to find much appropriate
historical material. However one very valuable item is
	Moore, Lindy "The Provision of Women's Reading Rooms in Public
Libraries". _Library History_ v.9 5/6, 1993, 190-202.

This is an excellent place to start and includes many references to the
literature of the time. Otherwise I'm afraid it's rather a matter of ploughing
through the primary sources, which is great fun but terribly time consuming.

Strange, but I have an undergraduate doing her dissertation on a very similar
topic at the moment.

All the best,

Dr Chris Baggs,
DILS, UWA

ps. BTW what bibliographic sources have you looked through so far? Some
indication of these in your post would have been helpful.