Dear ILL Folk

I'm not sure what effect electronic journals and the internet have had
on our requests, as there are so many different factors at work here.
For example, we have fewer requests compared to this time last year,
but that could be because we are in between library systems and readers
cannot key their requests directly onto the system at present as they
could before.  We also introduced charges four years ago to keep the
number of requests to a limit which we could afford too.  We are still
getting about 1200 per month about two thirds for serial articles, so
no immediate impact.  It would be interesting to hear of other people's
experience - has anyone done any specific research on this?

Jean  Bradford

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:23:33 -0500 (EST) Victoria Robertson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Just a quick question for you all on some research - has
> anybody found that their number of ILL transactions carried
> out have declined dramatically since the introduction of
> electronic journals and the proce rises incorporated at
> some institutions? Do you find that academics and
> researchers tend to obtain their material from the Internet
> now in cases where they used to use the Inter-Library Loan
> service?
>
> Please can you let me know your views and comments
> (including figures if possible) on the above.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> -----------------------------------
> Victoria Robertson
> Interloans Librarian
> St George's Hospital Medical School
> Library
> Hunter Wing
> Cranmer Terrace
> Tooting
> London
> SW17
>
> Tel : 0181 725 5251
> Fax : 0181 725 5377
>
> E-mail : [log in to unmask]
> St. Georges Hospital Medical School
> Opinions expressed those of the author and not the institution

Jean I Bradford, University of Bristol Library
Inter Library Document Supply
University Library,
Tyndall Avenue,
Bristol BS8 1TJ
Tel: 0117 928 8008 (int. 8008); Fax:0117 925 5334