On Mon, 19 Jan 1999, D.A.Cheesman wrote:

> We have had problems in the past, purchasing UPS hardware that met
> III approval, but had adequate hardware support from a UK supplier.
>
> I would be interested to know the experience of other UK libraries
> with UPS's and III's PowerWatch software?

In 1994 we purchased an American Power Conversion UPS unit recommended
by Innovative.  Our computer centre was already using the same model
and they didn't seem to have any problem of hardware support.

Recently we had a letter from Innovative (who seem to think we bought
this unit from them - we didn't) that this model would not be maintained
after March 1999.  So we had one of our technicians check our UPS and
everything seems to be ok.

If and when we replace it we will almost certainly purchase the model
currently recommended by Innovative - American Power Conversion
'SmartUPS' 1400.

The INNOPAC UPS is used as a slave to a larger UPS which serves the
whole of the computer room.  The Powerwatch software will shut down the
INNOPAC as soon as the slave UPS starts supplying power but the INNOPAC
is not affected by a short power outage because of this arrangement.
Hope this helps.

Mieko
-----
Mieko Yamaguchi                          | Email: [log in to unmask]
Tech Services Manager/System Coordinator | Phone: +44 (0)1248 382970
University of Wales Bangor               | Fax:   +44 (0)1248 382979