Leorita, et al,

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Stubbs, Leorita wrote:

> There are a lot of ways of doing maintaining your list of e-journals.
> Since I work in a biopharmaceutical company and we only read certain type of
> journals/e-journals we don't have that long a list. I assume that the
> e-journal list is created as a webpage.  Anyway I do break them down into
> category and alphabetical orders.  I maintain them both manually. It's not
> really a lot of work.

I found it tiresome to manually maintain a list of about 3000 e-journals.
Such a list cannot be fitted (realistically) on one page and so I ended up
maintaining 20 separate pages. This prompted me to explore the option of
building a database of this information instead.

Going back a year or so things were not as stable as they are now and host
services would add new titles or change their base URLs almost daily (I
exaggerate but those who were there then know what I mean) which often
meant changing records in each file. The IDEAL service has just gone
through a similar change (changing the frontend and internal operation not
the top level URLs but messing up our proxy-bypass arrangements
nevertheless). However, because I recently rebuilt our list as an Access
database (now containing over 7000 records - including over 3000 full text
titles) I was able to make the changes required in a few minutes.

The database approach has to be the way to go, it is more flexible, easier
to maintain and can form the basis of a wider range of access options for
the users.

My colleague Chris Keene has already described some of the features of our
service in an earlier note to this list so I won't repeat them. He wrote
the programs that search the database and display the results including
the one that generates the alphabetic lists 'on-the-fly' when a user
requests one. This way it is always up-to-date.  A neat little feature of
his alphabetic program is that not only does it extract titles that begin
with 'A' (for example) it also extracts those that begin 'Journal of A'
at the same time.

The current version (which we still consider as a 'pilot') is viewable at:

 http://library.ukc.ac.uk/library/netinfo/extservs/Default.htm

Regards,

John Smith,
The Templeman Library,