Hi Jane

This is my first posting to the list too - I hope it makes sense! I am writing because I was in exactly the same position as your friend, interested in chartering but being told I was "only" a library assistant.
The excuse I was given was that a library assistant was not a professional post and the few professional duties I had would not be enough.  Basically, I felt that, or was made to feel that it was not possible to continue. Yet, there is no specific mention in the regulations that you definitely can't charter.
Happily, I am now a school librarian on Route A on an individual training programme.
To your friend, see if it is possible to go above her boss and say to as many people as possible that she is not being allowed to do it.  I could go on for ages but I think the other people on the list might get a bit fed up.
If you would like any more information, please email me at the above address.
Best of luck to your friend.

Helen Melone