Dear Joan
At Kendal I have a scanner connected to the Trust LAN and a colour printer.  I don't charge for use.  Images i.e. photo's, drawings, etc. are sometimes sent through the network, the results are usually OK.  Sometimes people use the scanner to scan images into documents but the results are mixed.  The scanner and the software are being upgraded this year.  Kendal, Lancaster and Furness are running a project to network library and information resources in the Bay area this will involve scanning images onto the LAN and putting them on an intranet site.
Hope this helps
Fiona
Westmorland General Hospital