Hello all,

The SUN CS6400 computer which hosts the CURL and COPAC databases is to be
replaced during the summer of 1999. The replacement will be another SUN
machine running Solaris Unix, so any disruption to existing services
should be minimal. The following announcement has been issued by
Manchester Computing:

>			CS6400 Replacement Announcement
>
> As many of you will be aware, MC received funding from JISC to procure a
> replacement system for the CS6400. This procurement, which was conducted
> in accordance with EU guidelines, has now been completed. Manchester
> Computing will receiving a Sun Enterprise 6500 system comprising 24 x
> 336MHz UltraSPARC processors, 7GB of memory and 1TB usable disk space.
> Compared to the CS6400 (13 x 60MHz processors, 1.75GB of memory and 350GB
> disk space) the new system offers a considerable increase in performance
> and will provide an excellent platform to take our services into the
> 21st century.
>
> As the E6500 and CS6400 are binary compatible, the transfer of services
> should be a relatively straight forward exercise. Wherever possible, MC
> will try to ensure that the transition will cause the minimum of
> disruption to existing services and the user base. Further details about
> the service transition timetable will be sent out once MC has received a
> firm date from Sun for the delivery of the new system.

If you have any questions about the new system please feel free to
contact us through the usual channels.

Best wishes,  Sarah.

--
Sarah Davnall
CURL Technical Support   Email:  [log in to unmask]