Appeal! Appeal! Appeal! Appeal! Appeal! Appeal! Appeal!

I am writing to inform you that the city council of Schoeningen, Lower Saxony/Germany, is planning an archaeological research and exhibition center at one of the most important palaeolithic find spots in the world. The aim is to establish a museum combined with open-air display which focuses on the development of the landscape and its inhabitants through quaternary from the Elster glaciation until today.

As you may know excavations of several Middle Pleistocene sites at the edge of the brown-coal mine of Schoeningen have produced thousands of well-preserved organic finds (!) including seventeen complete horse skulls and eight wooden spears with an age of ca. 400.000 years B. P. - so far the oldest hunting weapons of mankind!

see Nature 385, 1997, 807-10

or look at

http://www.usatoday.com/life/science/ancient/lsa016.htm

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/3_1_97/fob2.htm

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/german_spears.htm

At this stage we are not sure if we will get the chance to carry out the project. Financial sponsors will have to be found and regional authorities will have to be convinced...

If you are of the opinion that something has to be done soon to open that important archaeological site to the public...

...please do not hesitate to send a signed letter or an email to:

Dr. des. Stephan A. Lütgert M. A.

Project Development

Research and Exhibition Centre Schöningen

Box 1271

D-38357 Schöningen

Germany

e-mail:

We look forward to receiving your statements as soon as possible!

Please inform your colleagues and friends, too.