     Ian [et al.]:

     Your query interests me as I provided Hispanic input to the Dictionary
     of Surnames published by OUP in 1988.

     That dictionary was etymological rather than historical, which in fact
     was a good thing as I found little on the history of Hispanic
     surnames.  Most books seek to explain the meaning of names rather than
     follow their transmission.

     Interestingly, I found v. little on Castilian surnames; much more, and
     better, on Basque and Catalan names.

     A few useful titles: Gonzalo Díez Melcón, Apellidos
     castellano-leoneses (siglos IX-XIII), Granada 1957 (NOT IN BL!!)-- v.
     reliable for the origin, early occurrences, of Peninsular names.

     Gutierre Tibón, Diccionario etimológico comparado de los apellidos
     españoles, hispanoamericanos y filipinos (Mexico, 1988). (I did not
     use this at the time, but there are earlier works by GT)

     Useful on history of families and where they are from:

     Alberto & Arturo Carraffa, Enciclopedia heráldica y genealógica
     hispano-americana. Madrid: 1919-63.

     Again, as I said, much of this is about origins, meanings and
     etymologies (and do not ignore toponyms in this regard).  On how names
     are transmitted I hope that others can provide references (and dont
     forget regional differences within the Peninsula).

     Geoff West
     Hispanic
     BL UK