If you could please send a copy of the questionnaire and report to one of
the addresses below, It would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

At 15:19 28/07/99 +0100, Price,G wrote:
>WITH APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING.
>
>Are you a researcher in the field of 19th or early 20th century British
>economic or social history?
>
>Do you use statistical sources of the period?
>
>Would you like to be able to access and manipulate these statistics from
>your desktop, rather
>than by spending time in a reference library?
>
>Do you already use electronic data services?
>
>--------------------
>
>The COUNTESS project has been set up to investigate the data capture of a
>large body of UK
>statistical material, and making this statistical data available to
>researchers on-line. The project is
>bidding for funding under the UK research councils' Joint Infrastructure
>Fund.
>
>We are undertaking a survey of researchers to help us find out how
>historical statistics are
>used, and what they see as the priorities in delivering such a service. We
>would be grateful if you
>could spend a few minutes of your time in completing our on-line survey
>questionnaire, which
>is on the web at http://www.blpes.lse.ac.uk/projects/countess/. The survey
>form will remain on-line
>until 1st October 1999.
>
>Full details of the project proposal are also on the above site, together
>with a report on 19th century
>statistics by Dr Brian Mitchell, author of "British historical statistics"
>(Cambridge University Press, 1988).
>
>If you do not have access to the web or would prefer me to post or fax a
>copy of the questionnaire
>to you, please contact me.
>
>Your views will help us put together a leading-edge proposal for the
>delivery of statistical content for
>the benefit of current and future research - please help!
>
>Please feel free to forward this message to any of your colleagues who may
>also be interested in this
>area, but who are not on any of the above mailing lists.

>Glyn Price
>Sub-Librarian (Technical Services)
>British Library of Political and Economic Science
>10 Portugal Street
>London
>WC2A 8HD
>
>Tel 020 7955 6755 Fax 020 7955 7454
>http://www.blpes.lse.ac.uk
>
>reply to: [log in to unmask]

Professor John F. Wilson,

Home address			Work Address

43, Whitebeam Close,		History & Economic History Dept.,
Penwortham,			Geoffrey Manton Building,
Preston,			Manchester Metropolitan University,
Lancs, PR1 0SE			Manchester, M15 6LL
fax/'phone: 01772-746406	0161-247-6491 (fax: 6398)