Dear All,

I would like some suggestions re. how best to attack the following data.

I've point info that contains several variables including a time value. What
I would like to do is work out the progression rate and direction of
movement of any one of the variables using the time value. Then, I'd like to
examine the modelled progression rates and direction in relation to other
background 'field' variables.

For arguments sake, suppose I had point based data describing the chemical
composition of sea water, with the time of the sample also recorded. The
background 'field' variables include mean salinity, variation in tidal
movements, prevailing winds, depth of water, currents, etc. What I need to
work out is what variable(s) affect(s) the progression and direction of
pollutants following a chemical spill. I'd really like quantifiable
results... i.e the visualisation element is less important to me than some
decent statistics.

Environments: ArcView or Idrisi preferred, but happy enough with GRASS as
well.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers and thanks,

James.