Yes, this seems to be a general feature.

Three papers which discuss the effect are (grabbed out of Georef)

Garnet-quartz intergrowths in graphitic pelites; the role of the fluid
phase.
Burton-K-W
Mineralogical Magazine. 50, Pages 611-620. 1986.

Porphyroblast textural sector zoning and matrix displacement.
Rice-A-H-N; Mitchell-J-I
Mineralogical Magazine. 55; 380, Pages 379-396. 1991.

Textural and twin sector-zoning and displacement of graphite in
chiastolite and pyralspite and granite garnets in the Variscides of
South-west England.
Rice-A-H-N
Proceedings of the Ussher Society. 8, Part 2; Pages 124-131. 1993.

Dave Waters

--
Dave Waters - Lecturer in Metamorphic Petrology, Oxford University
              Dept of Earth Sciences, Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3PR, UK