I too am a student of "film-studies" (read film-
philosophy)  in Australia. I found the title of
the course erroneous becasue we study so much
philosophy, but then it is not possible to study
a medium such as film without relating it to
life, since more often than not film is study of
life. And studying "life" without philosophy is
also absurd. The two fields are entirely
complememtary.

This film world did not start with Deleuze or
Barthes. Though their works are incredibly
influential and indeed seminal, Film philosophy
began with the beginnings of film itself. There
has always been analysis of pop.culture as it
emerges and film is no exception.

Deleuze is so important because of his re-reading
of Bazin's work "what is cinema" and his division
of the medium into movement and time.

But YOu might also want to look at Walter
Benjamin's work, at Bergson, at Bazin, at
Eisenstein, Godard, McLuhan and Baudrillard.These
are obviously scattered references, but will give
you an idea of how massive the field is and how
far beyond Deleuze and Barthes it goes.