[Some members apparently did not receive this post.]

Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999
Subject: film-philosophy
From: Birgit Berndt <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for your answers on my question.

I noticed that I have to be more precise when putting a question.

I don't doubt that there is a strong connection between film and
philosophy. What I had in mind, was to discuss the way one can handle
film-theory (specially when it's written by a philosopher) as a
film-student.

I'm sure that thinking about a specific film or interpretating it leads one
to thoughts dealing with life in general, which is also the field of
philosophy. And of course, depending on the kind of film, thinking while
watching a film has to do with philosophical thoughts. But what interests
me at the moment is to get from a philosophical (or theoretical) definition
of a perspectiv on film to a form of analysis (with "perspectiv" I mean for
example: Deleuze = defining a camera-angle as a percept, or Pasolini =
seeing the style of a film (if it has any) as a second film (the one of the
author) in relation to the one of the figur, or Bazin = looking out for the
relation between duration and reality in film).

Often these theorists offer no method to analysis. I was just wondering
what kind of attempts there might be to enrich the understanding of a film
(specially a contemporary film) by getting from theory (or philosophy) to
analysing a film.

And I agree that as a film-student one shouldn't take Deleuze or Barthes
too literary.

Birgit