>>the the question becomes whether the system enforces acceptable modes of
>>representation, and whether those stylistic elements have ideological
>>implications.

... NBK was a Hollywood movie, and the stink
>came from outside the system, not inside. The system doesn't "enforce"
>anything in particular. It just wants more resources.
>And once again, I don't think that the continuity style is ideological per
>se, becuase it can be used to represent almost any viewpoint effectively.
>Its the most effective means of presenting a narrative to a general
>audience that we are currently aware of, and the reason it is effective is
>becuase it shares certain assumptions in common with the PHYSICAL make up
>of the human audio-visual perception apparati (you know, eyes, ears,
>associated parts of the brain.) We see and remember real events in ways
>that are similar to the way that continuity editing presents them. No
>ideology to that, its basic, physical, universal across cultures.
>John

Can one be outside of the system? Controversy is good for business and and
keeps us believing that democracy and freedom will prevail, so long as we
fund the 'rebels' via the corporations. Whilst I would agree that the
continuity style can, in theory, be adapted for a variety of uses, the
issue of resources ensures certain limits to those uses in practice;
boundaries that define where power lies. E.g. Have there been any fictional
US presidents that aren't white and male? Moreover, I would take issue with
the view that the continuity style is something universal, rather than
emerging from a complex set of historical circumstances and disciplines -
modernity, urban life, industrialization, etc - within which it made
perfect sense. It may not be difficult to learn to understand a Hollywood
narrative, but it is learned nonetheless.
Yours aye,
Kris
P.S. My problem with NBK is that, in common with Stone's work in general, a
lack of genuine humour, despite posing as a satire.

Name    Kris Jozajtis
E-Mail  [log in to unmask]
Address:
Depts. of Religious Studies/Film and Media Studies
University of Stirling
Stirling
Scotland
FK9 4LA