We've discussed the ethics of genetic engineered food on and off over the past couple of years, and now I see that it has gone to the level of policy debate in GB. I'm still not sure what the central ethical issue is however.

Some of the debate, at least, seems to be that "it's not nice to mess with mother nature." Gregg Easterbrook, the environmental gadfly, just published an article in The New Republic (March 1 issue) which questioned stem cell research for basically that reason. He quoted Thomas Aquinas and Roe v. Wade in the same paragraph!!

However, I'm still a bit confused. Is it "always" ethically suspect to modify genes? Is that because they are fundemental as opposed to phenotype which is an expression? All organisms modify there environment, it's necessary in order to survive. But is modification of basic units such as genes prohibited. I'm not saying either way, I'd like to hear what someone else thinks.

Steven J. Bissell
http://www.du.edu/~sbissell
http://www.responsivemanagement.com
A journey to our primal world may bring answers
to our ecological dilemmas. Such a journey will lead,
not to an impulsive or thoughtless way of life,
but to a reciprocity with origins declared by history
to be out of reach.
                                           Paul Shepard

http://ens.lycos.com/ens/feb99/1999L-02-19-01.html