Eeling wrote in response to below;
Thank you Steven ,

I look fwd to reading your postings in the future. Always, I wd prefers the
'wild' existence as mentioned in Paul Shepard's quote although not 'primal
instincts' of the hunter. By 'wild' existence, simply the existence of
rapport with mother nature vis-a-vis spreading urbanization and getting all
'wired-up' which I feel is what is 'killing' our spontaneity and the beauty
of knowing people, making friends and not having one's total private life in
the control of manmade systems.

> http://www.du.edu/~sbissell
>  What we lost with that wild, primal existence
> was a way of being for which the era of
> agriculture and civilization lacks counterpoise.
> Human life is the poorer for it.
>                              Paul Shepard

Bissell here,
I'm just beginning to work out all of Paul Shepard's ideas myself. But, I
*believe* that the point Shepard makes is that you cannot separate "wild"
from "primal existence." In order to understand and live morally in our
modern world, we need to embrace our hunter/gatherer past more fully.
Shepard felt that the abrupt change from pre-agrarian to agrarian society
has created a psychological disconnection with nature. I think Shepard felt
that an active ecological role in nature, not the passive appreciation of
nature was the way to achieve a "reconnection." And, I think that is the
central theme of Aldo Leopold as well.

Thanks for your comments. Hope to hear from you again.
sb