In a message dated 99-10-05 11:40:34 EDT, Steve Bissell writes:

<< I think that this is the problem with environmental politics and one for
 which environmental ethics should be able to supply an answer. Is there a
 moral issue here? I've been asking this for the past couple of weeks and so
 far all I'm getting is that there is a potential for some sort of undefined
 harm from GE or GM crops. All right, if that is the case, so what? Have we
 decided that all potential harm is the issue? That poses a whole set of
 problems. Life is impossible without changing the environment and all change
 has the potential of harm. Is some sort of biological stasis the goal of
 environmental ethics? >>

LM Dangutis replies :)

   Perhaps its not the GM or GE crops, we all have problems with. But the fact
we are playing with evolution itself.  In the 1990's research has come to a
sort
of new for front. I think my problem with all this from a moral point of view
is
that I don't think we have enough understanding of genetic procceses to fully
carry out these procceses. If there is a moral question, it may lay in the
pace
of which we design and use technology. A new wonder drug a week, or a plant
to make wire. The problem is the designs and use of technology in my opionion.

Have a good one,
Sorry to make this so quick a response
L. Dangutis