At 10:11 AM 07/09/99 -0600, Steve Bissell wrote:

snip

>"Respect for life"
>does not, again IMO, mean "leave it alone," it means knowing your
>ecological/evolutionary relationship and living as much as possible within
>those constraints.

McLeod replied: "With this I agree. As part of nature, humans, like all
other living entities impact the environment in a variety of ways. But I
fail to see how killing
for the thrill of killing is within these contraints. I don't see how this
embeds one in nature, establishes or re-establishes some connection with
nature."

Bissell further:>My intentions and frame of reference are of extreme
>importance, and my use of the animal for survival is secondary.

McLeod: "If I make the decision to kill an animal, why it's done as well as
how
(intention and frame of reference) it's done should be primary. "

Bissell: agreed. Killing for the "thrill of killing" is wrong under all
circumstances. In a little of 35 years in the wildlife business I'm met a
few, but very few, hunters who enjoyed killing in the sense you are using
it.