-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Hyden <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, May 08, 1999 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: "True beauty"

Steve B. wrote...

Hunting/gathering however
>has been around 2,000,000+ years and has shaped our genotype/phenotype.

Bryan asks: Hi Steve, well, since gathering has been around for *at least*
as long as
hunting, how come we don't see any "middle class white americans" going out
into the woods to collect herbs and other non-animal foods?  I don't expect
you to go into a lengthy explanation, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on
it.  If you hunt because it's in your "historical genetics," then why don't
you also "gather"?  Or do you?

Bissell here: Actually this is a bigger quetion than you think. I use the
term "hunter/gatherer" as one term, not seperate. And, although I admit it's
a bit obtuse, while there may, indeed likely is *not*, any gene or such for
hunting, the fact that we are hunter/gatherers has shaped our entire
genotype. That is my point, and you are very correct, if I'm going to
justify hunting on this basis, it directly implies gathering as well. I do
that as well, in fact I hope to gathering some asperagus and morel mushrooms
shortly.

Bissell went on: Lions don't "need" to kill, we can put them all in zoos and
feed
>them vegetable protein and they'll do fine, and we can go on Sundays and
>laugh at them and take their pictures and buy cotton candy for the kids and
>feel very smug that we've "saved" the species. What crap!

Bryan responds: I don't think this is a solid analogy at all.  The lion has
no choice of
whether or not it's taken into captivity and fed vegetable protien.  We have
a choice of whether or not we "kill for sport."

Bissell here: Wasn't making an analogy, I was responding to the issue of
"need to hunt." And, to a lesser extent, "enjoy hunting." I'm never sure
what to say about this issue  of choice. A lot of people seem to put a great
deal of importance on it, but when it comes to environmental issues, it
never has impressed me. We can "choose" to continue the present rate of
environmental degradation, but only in the short term. In the long run,
there is no free lunch, and we'll pay for our "choice." From an evolutionary
point of view, most species make bad "choices" sooner or later and become
extinct, or at least a majority of them do. I know you mean rational choice,
but I hope you see what I mean. In the long run, acting in a responsible
manner is not a rational choice, it's the only course we can take for
survival.

Last note: "kill for sport" is a choice and I don't do it. I kill for the
same reason I try to act responsibly in all ecological issues, it's the best
way to survive in the long run.

Steven