At 12:52 AM 4/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim wrote :
>

>> Likewise, I have argued that in similar ways hunting should be
considered as (a) an aesthetically rewarding activity,
>> often enjoyed for its own sake apart from any extrinsic value it may
yield in the way of food, exercise, etc., and as (b) an
>> activity whose formal structure, rituals, and rule-bound practices
qualify it as a type of art.

and I couldn't help comparing this with an item in the very next post (from
a different mailing list):

"October 1, 1997 - Pearl, Mississippi. Luke Woodham, 16, stabbed his
   mother to death then went to his high school where he shot and killed two
   classmates and injured seven others. Prior to the killings, Woodham
   stated in his personal journal that he and an accomplice beat, burned,
   and tortured his dog, Sparkle, to death. He said it was "true beauty.""

For me, the parallels are too close for comfort.

Chris

Chris Hope, Judge Institute of Management Studies,
University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1AG, UK.
Voice: +44 1223 338194.   Fax: +44 1223 339701
e-mail: [log in to unmask]