Date sent:      	Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:00:35 +0100
From:           	Burns Ray <[log in to unmask]>
To:             	[log in to unmask]
Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask]

> Hi Everyone my name is Ray. I am a Student teacher in IT and I am
> composing a report on the use of IT with Dyslexia. My heading and area is
> :
>
> "Can speech software help in the tuition of pupils with Dyslexia?"
>
> I am looking at the Advantages + Disadvantages for the user. The learning
> aspects of the software EG. Does it help the user to understand and to
> advance in education. If anyone has any view, experiences or useful
> internet links and possible reviews they could guide me to please drop me
> a line. Every little helps.
>
> Thanks Very Much TTFN Ray.

Hello Ray

There's a lot happening, research-wise, in this field at the moment.

There was a series of articles on Voice Recognition (VR) in the
Dyslexia Journal (July, I think).

At UCW, we are launching a 12-month research project to
investigate its value to both staff and students, disabled and non-
disabled.  There has been stuff posted recently to Disforum and
Dyslexia forum relating to the Somerset Talking Computers Project.
Have  a look in the archives.

You might wish to join voicerec-forum also at:

http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/voicerec-forum/

There are also a few links on the welcome page (you don't need to
join to read these).

Also check out:

http://www.disinhe.ac.uk/project/studies/chart.asp

The studies listed have an inevitable HE focus, but could be worth
monitoring as researchers post interim and final reports.

The focus of your investigation sounds interesting - looking at the
'knock-on' benefits could be most valuable, particularly in the case of
dyslexic users.

Regards

Peter J Hill
Learning Support Tutor