Date:          Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:25:13 GMT
Subject:       Re: Any suggestions!
From:          "A Courtney" <[log in to unmask]>
To:            [log in to unmask]

> Date:          Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:15:42 -0000
> Subject:       Any suggestions!
> From:          [log in to unmask]
> To:            [log in to unmask]

The second item falls within the remit of Social Services I would
think.  We have a couple of students here who have their support and
it was arranged by Social Workers from their home area and put into
place for their arrival.  All has seemed to be smooth with the
arrangement.  I believe you might also find the Independent Living
Fund would assist with this but am not sure.

Regarding the bed, we had a similar situation.  We had nothing
suitable and our accommodation office did not feel that it came
within their remit.  Perhaps Social Services again or maybe  your
institution takes the view that it isn't able to meet that particular
need .....................................

Alison Courtney

> A prospective student has recently given me a list of his needs if
> he is to study at this institution.  The list runs to 60 requests,
> ranging from personal care to major modifications to bathrooms,
> bedrooms and kitchens.  As the list runs to 3 pages I have not
> reproduced it here, however I would appreciate advice on the
> following points:
>
> 1. The student has asked for a hospital bed and special mattress.
> Has anyone had a similar request?  Should institutions normally be
> expected to purchase such items?
>
> 2. Personal care will be required when getting up and going to bed,
> with cooking, shopping, washing, ironing and bathing, with physio,
> when night sweats occur, and provision for over night assistance is
> needed.  How would this care normally be funded and who would
> cover the cost of what would appear to be two extra bed sits for
> carers, as it would appear he needs round-the-clock assistance?
>

> Clare Horrocks
> Disability Services Co-ordinator
> Disability Access, Resources & Technology (DART)
> University of Lincolnshire & Humberside
> Tel: + 44 (0)1482 444550 ext. 3300
> Fax: + 44 (0)1482 463531
> E-Mail: [log in to unmask]