The DSA should not really be seen as just another benefit that the student should apply for.
It is a resource that can be plugged into if and when support in order to fully access the
course is required.  The question is, does the student require support and if so is there a
cost implication? In which case it might very well be the institution who should put its hand
into its pocket, or it may just require greater tutor awareness of an individuals needs.
Students with disabilities, sensory impairments or long term medical conditions should be
encouraged to discuss their situation with the relevant officer at the HEI (possibly via a mail
shot).  This may lead onto to the decision to apply for DSA funding. Also, not all students are
eligible for DSA in which case you would have to think of alternative solutions/funding.

Bryan Jones
Equal Opportunities Adviser
London Guildhall University.