This is a recurring difficulty and one which I feel is on the increase
(other contributors please feel free to shoot me down on this, I'll be
delighted) it is very difficult to argue the case when faced with such a
bland NO.  This could also be viewed as a great delaying tactic, forcing the
student to enter dialogue and 'hang it out' . What is needed is a revisit of
the original E.P report to find anything which substantiates the claim and
then I feel you would be justified in asking the LEA how they were making
that judgment, sometimes it comes down to a scrap between the students E.P
and the LEA's E.P. there can often be a question of professional conduct
(how professional is it for one to disclaim the other etc etc.)
Best of luck, I hope it's not a final year student !
Chris