Dave Wyatt wrote:

> Thanks Scott. Do you have the directive reference number and any date of
> when estimated to come into force?
>
> David

This "directive" is still in draft form and has been assigned to the
Legal Affairs Committee of the European Parliament. The Rapporteur is
Madame Christien Margaret Oddy, assisted by Kartsten Hoppenstedt,
economic etc. commission, and Renate Heinrisch, commision of culture
etc.Already she has accepted some amendments to the draft, mainly around
the issues of the derogations in the original draft for "unsolicited
commercial communications, contractual clauses for consumer
transactions. There may still be some issues about recognition of the
Rome and Brussels Conventions over EC law as the first article would
recite that the Directive is without prejudice to the rules of
international private law in relation to conflict of laws and
jurisdiction.It would also specifically refer to the application to a
service provider of the Data Protection Directive, Articles 10, 11, 12,
and 14.
  The Legal Affairs Committee will discuss this report on February 22.
Regards
--
Charles A. Prescott
Vice President, International Business Development

Tel. (1) 212-790-1552
Fax. (1) 212-790-1499
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.the-dma.org