Response to:-

"Lloyd M J B (ISaCS)" wrote:

Qn 1)

Just a thought. Would the marks and comments on the exam paper be personal data relating to the examiner
Ans 1)

Could be (but remember these things are always subject to what a court decides, in the unlucky event anyone had to go that far).  Look at the definition of personal data:-

     "Personal data"

          'is data which relate to a living individual who can be identified from those data or from those data
          and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the
          data controller and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of
          the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual;'

The marks and comments might be considered to 'relate to' the examiner just as much to the student.  Whilst tempting not to do so, most academic institutions keep other records enabling the examiner to be identified.

Qn 2)

and consideration of the student's subject access request would have to take this into account?
Ans 2)

Yes.  But that does not mean that disclosure can be refused.

The first question is whether the examiner can be identified from the information concerned and/or from information which the data controller reasonably believes is or is likely to come into the possession of the data subject making the request.

If the examiner cannot be so identified, disclosure cannot be refused.

If the examiner can be identified from the information concerned, that does not excuse a failure to disclose the remaining information which does not so identify the examiner.

Further, if the examiner can be identified from the information concerned, it is then a question of whether the examiner has consented to disclosure or whether disclosure is reasonable in all the circumstances notwithstanding the examiner's refusal of consent.

There are statutory tests of when it is reasonable to refuse disclosure.

Mike Lloyd
Assistant Head (Academic Support )
Information Systems and Campus Services
University of Glamorgan
Llantwit Road
Treforest CF37 1DL

Tel: 01443 482417        Fax: 01443 482426
email:  [log in to unmask]

Clifford G. Miller
CLIFFORD MILLER
Coborn House