Dear all

The HR department here is undergoing huge changes and lots of issues are
surfacing, one of which is that they now want to utilise mailing houses to
mail out information to our employees on a regular basis, and after a minor
tussle have accepted the need to inform employees about this and offered me
the letter below as a starting point to informing employees about this  -  I
would appreciate any comments anyone has on the content of the letter or the
proposed idea.....
(Am I being over sensitive worrying about the tone of the last couple of
sentences?)

With thanks
Karen Jane Mitchell
Group Records & Data Protection Manager
The BOC Group plc

July 1999

Dear Colleague

Many of you may know that the Data Protection legislation has been updated
and amended to provide more protection for individuals and places more
responsibility on companies that handle personal information.  As a Company
we want to assure you that we take this obligation for our employees very
seriously.

>From time to time the Company has very important messages that it wishes to
convey to all employees covering pensions, the Savings-Related share option
schemes and any new Company 'badged' initiatives that will be of personal
interest to our employees in the future.  To ensure, with any great
certainty, the employees will receive the communication we have to date
mailed to home addresses.  One new change that the updated legislation
places on employers is a requirement now to inform its employees when, for
new purposes in the future, the Company will be mailing to home addresses
using an external mailing house.

It has been the practice of BOC to use reputable mailing houses to package
and post literature that we want to get into the hands of all our UK
employees.  I want to take this opportunity to assure you that these third
parties are not given your personal details for the purposes of soliciting
business when we issue any communication to the home address.  However,
should you ever decide to take advantage of any products that BOC has been
able to make available to you through a third party provider then the
personal information that you supply will not be the responsibility of the
Group under the Data Protection Act.

Whilst communicating in this complex area of Data Protection, this seems an
appropriate time to tell you about some of the systems changes the HR
department is making in the UK as an outcome of the Renew initiative.  In
the next few months BOC will be transferring existing personal data that we
hold for pay and benefit purposes that is held on a number of HR systems in
the UK to one streamlined system.  This transfer is being done to enable
your HR department to meet the needs of  its employees and the Company more
efficiently by providing a centralised service.  A requirement of the new
Data Protection legislation is that we tell employees of how their data is
being used when there is a change such as this and that we gain express
consent of each employee.

An acceptance form covering the authority to allow data to be transferred
from several internal HR systems to one internal centralised system is
attached.  This MUST be completed and returned in the envelope provided by
the end of August.  Please note that to withhold consent causes significant
difficulty and may affect the Company's ability to provide you with even the
minimum support you currently get from your Personnel Department.

Additionally, this acceptance form gives you the opportunity to give consent
to the Company to use a mailing house to package and post any important
internal communication that we wish to send.  Again, please be aware that
you may miss valuable and important messages should you decide to withhold
consent.  The Company cannot be held responsible for non-communication.

Yours sincerely