Sally

There was a big exchange about this on the admin-student mailbase
about a year ago.  My take on it was that most HE institutions felt it
reasonable (much as you say) to inform students at the outset that open
publishing of their degree result will be part of the processing that they
consent to when they join the University.  There were differences of
opinion between HEIs about whether to allow opting-out by individuals,
and also about the publishing of *failure* results. For what it's worth, our
current position is:

* warn about open publication of results at the outset;
* no opt-out option from open publishing of the bare fact of the award -
eg in degree conferment programmes - for reasons sketched below;
* no publication of fail results;
* currently reviewing whether to amend the policy of publishing, via
internally-posted pass lists, the >class< of degree.

The underlying issue, it seems, is that most HE institutions regard the
fact of an award (and/or conferral) of degree to person X as >public
information<.  Some go further and regard class of degree as also being
public information (personally, I don't agree).  HEIs certainly have history
on their side in this areat, and quite possibly the law relating to their
incorporation (for 'old' universities, anyway).  The DP Registrar's advice
at the time, however, was directly contradictory - more along the line
that additional, explicit consent would be required from every student for
such publication.  I don't know whether this is still the DPR's position
(my impression is that the DPR's line on similar issues since then has
started to become tempered by reality, but part of the problem here is
that HEIs have found the advice from the DPR to be so consistently
advice that they don't like, such that many colleagues have ceased
asking questions!)

Hope this helps

Owen

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:52:26 +0000 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> From: [log in to unmask]> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:52:26
+0000
> Subject: displaying student results
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Cc: [log in to unmask]
>

> In the past we have printed a published list of student results
> on our notice boards, we now wish to put them on the web (intranet)
> Because of the new requirements when collecting data should we
amend
> our enrolment form to specifically say that we will be publishing
> results for open access (notice boards are visible to anyone in the
> buildings of course student,staff or visitor) As this is not NEW
> processing do you think we are already covered for this disclosure?
> We have amended the form for graduation which now says we shall
> publish a list in a souvenir book and  print lists on t-shirts unless
> the student doesn't want to.
>
> Comments and policies gratefully received
>
> Sally Justice

_____
Owen Richards
Academic Registrar