Dear list members

Alex Pollock asked for contacts in EBM for people in professions allied
to medicine

I know that there has been a lot of work on evidence-based physiotherapy
in connection with the Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP), based
in Oxford.  A contact person is Judy Mead, 0171 3066635.

There have also dental projects run by CASP by Derek Richards:
Derek Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Other areas of special non-medical expertise have been the development
of tools for finding evidence, a project which has been run by
librarians, Judy Palmer and Anne Brice.
Anne Brice <[log in to unmask]>
judy palmer <[log in to unmask]>.

Peter

In message <000001be4068$cc8690e0$1269883e@default>, alex pollock
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Name:  Alex Pollock
>Profession:  Physiotherapists
>Interests:  the promotion of evidence-based practice in PAMs; stroke
>rehabilitation
>
>Dear List,
>
>I suspect that I am one of the minority on this list, being a physiotherapist.
>I'm awaiting other peoples introductions eagerly to see whether there are any
>more professions allied to medicine (PAMs) on the list!
>
>I have recently started work on a project aimed at promoting evidence based
>practice within PAMs, with specific reference to stroke rehabilitation.  We are
>intending to produce a newsletter, along the lines of the journal Evidence-
>Based
>Medicine (albeit on a smaller scale!) to disseminate up-to-date material on
>evidence-based stroke rehabilitation.  However we are also very aware that PAMs
>often do not have a culture that utilises critical appraisal, and we intend to
>use the newsletter as an educational tool to highlight key issues.
>
>We feel that the problem of lack of critical appraisal skills in PAMs is one
>that really needs tackling, and we are also intending to do a "critical
>appraisal roadshow", travelling to clinical sites throughout Scotland and
>spending some time with clinicians reading a selected paper on stroke
>rehabilitation.  We are aware that this is quite an undertaking and are
>planning
>to start some "pilot" workshops with friendly PAMs in the near future.
>
>I would very much appreciate any references / personal experiences on critical
>appraisal workshops and / or the running of journal clubs.  In many ways I feel
>that our approach is going to initially have to be along the lines of
>"critical
>appraisal for the terrrified" workshops.....any comments?
>

>Alex Pollock PhD
>Stroke Therapy Evaluation Programme
>Glasgow Royal Infirmary

Peter Bradley
Highfield                               Tel direct      +44 1604 615251
Northamptonshire Health Authority       Tel general     +44 1604 615000
Cliftonville Road                       Tel secretary   +44 1604 615208
Northampton NN1 5DN                     Fax in office   +44 1604 615146
England                                 Personal Fax    +44 870 164 1289
e-mail [log in to unmask]