Jean-Yves Tillier wrote
> I would like to ask the members of this mailists if they have some
> concrete examples of companies, research institutes/group,
> universities...using fortran90, and what for.
>
> Here at UH, fortran90 is used by PhD students essentially. Doing small
> helpful programs or learning/teaching the language but nothing
> important. I do not know current f90 applications (????)
>
> For my culture I am curious to know some "real" examples.

I work at IABG, Germany. My company (1400 people) offers technical
services particularly in the aerospacial sector.

I use Fortran 90 for doing system simulation. The behavior of what I
call a system (e.g. an airplane) is governed by: (a) ordinary
differential equations, (b) periodical and sporadical events.

Previously, I used to perform my simulation with a (good) program
written by someone else in Fortran 77. Then a new project came, and I
decided to use this opportunity for writing a new, more flexible program
in Fortran 90.  Well, I am very happy of having taken this (courageous)
decision. Fortran 90 is just much better than Fortran 77, and the new
software take advantage from this very much.

By the way, I think Ada is even better than Fortran 90. Pros: (a) a good
and modern programming style is encouraged, (b) some very advanced
features are offered. Con: Unfortunately Ada is not very popular. I
write code which is ELF compatible. (ELF is a subset of Fortran 90 not
containing old-fashined construction.)

Hope it helps. Cheers, Vittorio
Dr. Vittorio G. Caffa     Tel.:   (089) 6088-2054
IABG, Abt. AF 11          Fax:    (089) 6088-3990
Einsteinstr. 20           E-Mail:   [log in to unmask]
D-85521 Ottobrunn