Hi,
        Maybe we have had enough applications but F90 is also being used
by NASA's Microwave Anisotropy Probe (MAP, based at goddard) a satellite
that will fly in late 2000.  We use C for low level i/o, also have some
legacy F77 from COBE, but mostly F90.  F90 is great for the large matrices
and is easily scaled to multiple procesors.  As traditionally a C/C++
programmer I find F90 frequently cryptic but very powerful when you change
programming mindsets (you have to look at problems differently).
        I do however have 1 huge complaint.  This has to do with the large
number of DEC extensions to F77 that are platform specific.  Programmers
used them in desperation in F77 and then kept using them unecessarily on
DEC machines with F90.  This caused highly platform specific code.  I
don't know who to blame but its ugly.  Also, in C you have long int (any
platform), in Fortran its integer(kind=8) or integer(kind=4) on 32 bit
machines.  Good planning gets around this problem but thats not what we
had.  This is especially a problem when pasing parameters to C.
	I agree strongly with the earlier suggestion to standardize
interactions between programming languages.  I don't like that calling C
with fortran can be machine dependent.
        thanks for listening,
        John

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, David B. Serafini wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:36:35 -0600
> > From: Jean-Yves Tillier <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > I would like to ask the members of this mailists if they have some
concrete
> > examples of companies, research institutes/group, universities...using
> > fortran90, and what for.
>
> > For my culture I am curious to know some "real" examples.
>
> I know at NASA/Goddard they are developing a system to solve nonlinear
> PDEs using solution-adaptive structured grids using Fortran 90.
> The applications are in fluid dynamics and maybe other areas.  I know of
> a similar effort in astrophysics simulations at Univ. of Michigan using
> Fortran90.
>
> I also know there's a nonlinear optimization package written in F90,
although
> I don't know how much of the language it takes advantage of (you really
need
> pointers to functions to do optimization nicely).
>
> -David
>

> > jy
>
> > Jean-Yves TILLIER
> > Dept. of Chemical Engineering

*       The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily.  That is what      *
*       Fiction means.                                                    *
*                             - Oscar Wilde                               *
           John Grimes - Physics Grad Student at U of Chicago
Home 	[log in to unmask] 	5400 S. Ingleside Ave Apt #3 (773)363-4869
Physics	[log in to unmask]  Lab for Astrophysics-Office#207   702-0162
             http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/jpgrimes/