Vittorio Caffa wrote:

> Well, if the standard does not say anything, I do not see way a
> compiler should implement TRANSFER() copying memory. By the
> way I think
> the word transfer is not appropriate, translate or convert whould have
> been better.

Given that TRANSFER is, syntactically, a function, you can think of it as
returning a copy of the argument data having the desired target type.  A
compiler could choose to optimize this as a "cast" and not do a copy, and I
imagine most do.  The standard is, in general, silent about how a
"processor" should implement a particular semantic requirement, and I think
that's a good thing.

Neither "translate" nor "convert" would be appropriate terms - both imply a
modification of the bits.  "shoveitintoaboxthatlookslikethis" would have
been a bit wordy...

Please send Visual Fortran support questions to [log in to unmask]

Steve Lionel                    mailto:[log in to unmask]
DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Compaq Computer Corporation
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran