On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:59:34 EST, Doug wrote:

>I'm asking, "How deep into the mind do you think
>metaphor goes, and what difference does it make to your view of poetry
>writing?"

Nice of Doug to throw us a big one and then bolt off to Chinon, which
is practically a metaphor in itself, all big and butch above its slow
and lovely river, must look like a page from a book of hours at this
time of year. It's nearly impossible to ditch metaphoric language in
any kind of writing, it seems to me, words like "ditch" will keep
creeping in. Creeping? No, I don't just mean figurative language, I
mean the kind of language which makes links between one wordset and
another. I have to say that what impressed 17-yr-old me about "The
Hawk In The Rain" was not its metaphor (which seemed rather staid,
even then, compared to Dylan Thomas) but its big, muscular NOISE, wow!
so unlike anything the Eng Teachers brought us.

Metaphor (and I'm including here its derivatives, no purist I) goes as
deep as we let it, and it seems to me to be practically impossible to
put two words together without making sense at some kind of level,
which usually turns out to be metaphorical: I'm thinking of the
Sorrentino poem where he sez to the effect of, impossible to say the
words "clarinet marmalade" without thinking black and orange. I love
that. But do we need the rather-too-perfectly-formed metaphorical
trots of the Martians? I'd rather have real life, where the
metaphorical language is untidy, and deeper rooted.

Happy new ears

RC