Dear Ric, Tim, and all,

I'm not so quick to take Tim's point: what is "non-poetry info" anyway?
Is there any such thing?

A few weeks ago, I started ictus so that the occasional outbreaks of
discussion on poetry lists provoked by the bombings of Iraq, Serbia, and
now Kosova, could be sustained.

Because the subscribers to ictus are drawn primarily from poetry/poetics
lists I subscribe to myself, I have the hard job of linking "poet" and
"Yugoslavia" every time I extend an invitation to join.  I am still
working on building that phrase.

I'd like to thank Ric for forwarding that post.  I think the situations
that preoccupy us should make it to a poetry list.  What else do we do:
put aside human suffering and responsibility when we turn to poetry?

Anyway, although I disagree with Tim, a wish to circumvent such pleas as
his motivated the formation of ictus, where no such pleas will arise,
although sooner or later someone will surely say "How can you talk about
poetry in the midst of this?"  And then.

All the best,
Mairead
http://ictus.listbot.com