>- all I've come across that's likely to be widely available have been
>a few translations in Michael March (ed.) Child of Europe (Penguin
>1990). Enough to sense elements of Neideckerish lyrical precision, but
>- alas - to me the precision hasn't survived the process. Things
>might've changed since then.

Oh gosh, I have read her work, at least in that anthology - I blew the
dust off and had another look.  Yes... Actually, it's quite a lot like
something I might write, and so I feel a bit wary about it...

Do you know the work in Estonian?  Or presumably you know of other books
in English?  Just curious to know where your sense of precision comes
from.  I can see where the translation might have blurred the clarities.

Kaplinski doesn't make me think of Snyder at all, although I suppose he
should.  Although he writes about such simple things, it's precisely how
he's not colloquial that probably interests me most.  I haven't read his
poems written in English, but the classicism doesn't surprise me.

Best

Alison

Alison Croggon
Editor