Thanks for your considered response, Keston.  I don't have a lot of time
but briefly:

1)  I don't agree that eclecticism is "unambiguously an exalted attribute
among people interested in literature," as not only my imagined respondent
but also you (below) would seem to indicate.

2)  I don't imagine that such a project would necessarily "subvert" one's
preferences.  I might have an order of preferences--this bottle of merlot,
say, over that one, but the second bottle might find its pleasures and uses
too.  On the other hand, I simply won't tolerate most sangria.  So the
Wendy Cope reference won't wash, so to speak (though I'm sure there's
gallons of sangria and even Boone's Farm going down happy gullets tonight).
If one found something to be of absolutely no value--or of no value beyond
some prospective or possible comparison--and then went ahead and included
it anyway, that would be to subvert oneself. I'm not that suicidal even in
the thick of the fray (cris' post just now coming in but still undigested.)

2a)  We could contest the extent to which capitalism (and as compared to
what?) is INHERENTLY or ACTUALLY "eclectic."  Let's not, though, we've all
got work to do.

3)  I do find purpose and value in "historiographical" projects.  This is
part of the pleasure and burden of ONE of my vocations.

4)  I do not find that you have the respect for consumers you profess having.

5)  Questions of tactics--of pragmatism and so forth--will have to wait for
another day.

6)  I agree that the context in which a work appears HELPS shape its
apprehension.  But no book is the ONLY book; work might have manifold
versionings; one book can point to another; etc. etc. etc.. .

all best and in haste,
Keith