 Douglas> Good to see some of you at the ICMC.

This year's meeting was well into term and so there was no way I could
get there with the teaching load.

 Douglas> It was noted, and has been noted before, that we tend to
 Douglas> meet at international rather than national events. Indeed,
 Douglas> such a meeting in Bologna led to this mailing list.

 Douglas> The ICMA announced at its AGM that it is keen to strengthen
 Douglas> regional activities.

Is there any other news about the AGM?  Like where the 2001 conference
will be?  I need to plan for that now, raising money etc.  It would be
useful if there was a short report on the Beijing meeting for those of
us who were not there.  The 'official' ICMA report will be a long time
a-coming judging by the experience of Ann Arbor.  [just as an aside,
has there been an edition of Array since the {\bf 19}:1, Winter/spring
1999 edition -- first non-paper one?]

 Douglas> I would like to propose the formation of a BRITISH COMPUTER
 Douglas> MUSIC ASSOCIATION, along the lines of the
 Douglas> ICMA/AIMI/ACMA/SFIM. It would have similar aims to these
 Douglas> national organisations and to this list. The BCMA would
 Douglas> present and/or sponsor musical events within the UK. It
 Douglas> would disseminate information on research activities, and
 Douglas> could hold an annual conference. Membership might also offer
 Douglas> reduced rates for ICMA membership or events.

My immediate reaction to that proposal was is that not what Sonic Arts
Network is supposed to be?  One might feel that they are not an
organisation with large visibility, but that would seem to be the
problem that needs to be tackled, rather than creating a new
organisation.  In what way would the BCMA differ?  Perhaps it might be
more geared to the researcher/technician than SAN which appears to me
to be aimed at composers in the main; or is that another of the
misunderstandings we have in the UK?

 Douglas> Your comments on this proposal are requested.

How much would it cost?  What would be the potential size of the
membership?  Would it need staff and premises or could it kibutz on a
university?

Actually I am sure there is a problem, but I am not totally convinced
that this is a solution, and it may be more of the problem.  I am not
fixed in my views and am open to arguments either way.

==John ffitch