>J. J. Dias Marques wrote:
>>
>> >Hi folks:
>> >
>> >A friend of mine is searching for a possible ballad wherein, as part of
>> >helping her lover to escape, a woman carries him across a field covered
>> >with snow, so that his footprints will not be seen crossing it. (Never
>> >mind the logic, we're talking about a ballad here.)
>> >
>> >Does this ring any bells with anyone?
>> >
>> >Peace.
>> >Paul
>>
>> As far as I know, this episode is told about Emma, Charlemagne's daughter,
>> and her lover Einhard (or Eginhard), the emperor's secretary (and later
>> author of his biography).
>> J. J. Dias Marques
>

>I do not find the story in my copy of Einhard, who gives the
>daughters of Charlemagne as: Rotrude, Bertha, Gisela, Theroderada,
>Hiltrude, Rothaide, and the illegitimate Ruothilde and Adaltrude.
>Where does daughter Emma and her story come from?
>
>Bruce Olson

I didn't say the story was in Einhard's _Vita Karoli_. Anyway, my knowledge
about this theme comes from Teofilo Braga, _Romanceiro Geral Portugues_,
Lisbon, III, 1909, pp.386-389. Braga says he took the story from a book
whose title he mentions as "_German Traditions_ by Jacob Grimm, french ed.,
1838, II, p. 149, 152)." Perhaps he means Grimm's _German Legends_
(_Deutsche Sage_). Nother thing: Braga says (p. 387): "Jacob Grimm took it
from _Chronicon Laurishamense_ (ed. Manheur, 1768, I, f. 40, 46)". Hope
this helps.

J. J. Dias Marques