I cannot accept the morality debate as being discussed. Folk song is about
personal experiences in the widest possible sense. When you look at songs
such as the Bird in the Bush it has a natural place alongside, sport, work,
politics, love and adventure. Whilst Sharp refused to publish the Bird in
the Bush is it was not so much that it was about group sex, ( I believe the
only song in the English cannon dealing with the subject) but that the women
enjoyed it all. Sharp was looking for Victorian concepts of beauty, he
recorded miner's dances but not their much more valuable songs.  This idea
of morality is I believe a Victorian value judgement, that we cannot, but
must shake off. The whole point about folk-song which sets itself aside from
other musical forms is the continual refinement and acceptance by the
community who listened to these songs. Non acceptance by the community meant
the song withered and died. The morality was irrelevant if it touched their
world of experience.

Best wishes

John

John Davis