Thank you for your many Emails on this matter.  Here is a summary of the
current state of play according to the Email replies:

1. PIRA International (Printing Industry Regulation Authority) of
Leatherhead seems to be the authority on this subject.  Laser inks are
generally long lasting because of their pigment base.  They should be
stored below 40 degrees C and of course should not be stored in PVC files.
Both these conditions soften the toner.  For ink jet inks more caution is
needed but the ink has improved in the last 5 years in degree of
permanence.  The British Library's Information Officer suggests that people
contact specific computer ink manufacturers to ask if any tests have been
carried out.  PIRA International is a commercial organisation and so the
amount of free information is limited.
2. Articles of interest include:
'An investigation into the archival properties of colour photocopies and
inkjet prints- Summary of a project undertaken at Camberwell College of Art
as part of a BA in Paper Conservation, Spring 1996' by Anna
Hillcoat-Imanishi, V&A Conservation Journal, January 1999 no 30, ISSN
0967-2273
'Conservation Considerations With The Acquisition of Computer Generated
Works of Art on Paper' by H. Norville -Day and Shulla Jacques, from the
IPC/Society of Archivist's Conference: Care of Photographic, Moving Image
and Sound Collections, 1998, York, Abstracts
'Conservation Implications of Computer-Generated Printing' by C Orlenko and
E Stewart, from Institute of Paper Conservation Conference Paper, London
1997 pp166-175

>From a records management/archive point of view this information is
invaluable.  Again many thanks to those respondees who replied to the
Email.  I think that we in the RMG should think about doing a Guideline on
this subject and I will bring it up at the next RMG Committee meeting.

Gillian Whichelo
British Waterways Archive