Worcestershire Record Office will be purchasing CALM 2000 later this year.
In preparation, we are considering how best to translate our existing
cataloguing system into an automated format.  Our current system is quite
complex and the information contained in the reference code will need
unpacking.

We are interpreting our cataloguing system to ISAD(G).  However, we are
having difficulty reaching agreement about the Fonds level (ie: the creating
body).  Although private deposits pose little problem, County Council
records are more complex.  As a County Council which has undergone much
reorganisation, many functions have, over time,  been under the auspices of
numerous departments.

 If the Council is the ultimate Fond, should L.E.A. school log-books contain
all this information in their reference?
For example, will a code such as the hypothetical S/44/3/1 suffice?
(S=Schools/44= Hartlebury High/3 = log-books/1= first log-book)

or do we need to express the entire Fonds?:
WCC/E/S/44/3/1 ?(Worcestershire County Council/Educational Services/Schools
etc)

Without the equipment, our discussions are somewhat theoretical and it may
be that CALM resolves the problem in itself.   However, we would be
interested to hear how other County Record Offices using CALM have tackled
this issue.

Any help would be gratefully received.