I would argue that the nature of a lease is not a deed - that is only its
form.

When we say 'deeds' as a section  of an estate collection - we really mean
deeds of *title*.
A lease only gives the lessee 'title' - he can sell the lease or devise it
to his heirs.

When cataloguing an estate collection the title deeds are those of the main
family to the estate. Leases, to the lessor, are merely a product of the
running of the estate, hence their classification as estate papers.

Claire Collins
Archive Cataloguer
Shropshire Records & Research Centre

and intended solely for the use of the addressee.  This
communication may contain material protected by law from
being passed on.  If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this email in error, you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error, please notify the IT Technical Services
Manager at Shropshire County Council, telephone 01743 252131

http://www.shropshire-cc.gov.uk

"Shropshire County Council - at the heart of our community"