I have an interesting problem, which arises from work done by some of
our bioscientists.  It is new to me, but similar problems must have
arisen many times in other companies, and I would appreciate feedback
and experiences from allstst members before I try a hand-crafted
solution.

The problem is to identify or verify the source species of samples of
snake venom.  They have reference samples from several species, and the
test sample should be form one of these, but it may not be.  Each sample
is analysed by HPLC, so the comparison is based on a profile of
signal-size vs retention time.  The profiles usually display about 10
clear peaks and some minor ones.  Their current method of analysis is to
manually identify a 'reference' peak and 5 'key' peaks.  The relative
retention time of each key peak to the reference peak is then
calculated, and compared to the corresponding numbers for the reference
profiles to give a similarity score.  I would like to evaluate an
alternative procedure which did not require manual selection of
reference and key peaks.

Are there some standard ways to calculate distances or similarities
between chromatographic profiles.  A simple correlation coefficient may
not perform well, as the absolute retention times are somewhat variable,
however, the relative retention times within a profile are more stable.

Thanks for your help and interest

Tim Auton
--
T R Auton PhD MSc C.Math