> That is a matter of opinion. Another view is that perceived randomness in
> any sphere, biological, physical or whatever, is merely a symptom of our
> ignorance of, or inability to cope with, the underlying deterministic
> details.

Fascinating as this discussion is, the real question of interest to
statisticians should be whether the random numbers are good enough for
practical use in statistics.  This is an important question because
while, as Daniel Bebber states, Excel is not in itself designed to do
complex statistics, it is an excellent tool for programming statisical
techniques and simulating data, e.g. for use in stats training.

My own experience suggests that the Excel random number generator is
adequate for most practical purposes.  However, I have no hard data to
back this up - does anyone else have evidence on this point?

Steve Langton

Steve Langton                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]
MAFF Central Science Lab            Phone:  01 904 462521
Sand Hutton                         Fax:    01 904 462111
York, YO41 1LZ, UK.