Several Universities have recently advertised vacant MSc
EPSRC studentships in Statistics.

This year, for the SECOND year running, a first class student from
Warwick will be paying for herself to do the MSc in Applied
Statistics at Oxford because they have insufficient studentships.

I expect many will say: why does she not go elsewhere?
However, for a first class student with knowledge of SPLUS and
an interest in a career in applying  statistics, Oxford is clearly
an excellent choice. Professor Ripley is very actively
involved in the teaching of the  programme.

If the statistical community is at all interested in the education
of the next generation, then I suggest that those with power and
influence should use that influence  to alter the current
distribution of studentships.

R J Reed
R J Reed                                         [log in to unmask]
Department of Statistics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
United Kingdom                            Telephone: 01203-523062